Friday, December 14, 2012

Using de Buyer Mineral B natural cookware saute pan

Every kitchen needs pans and pots. Unless you cook with a microwave.

de Buyer makes fantastic cookware. You can see their cookware products at Amazon.

I've been trying to wean myself off cooking with non-stick pans. I'm not convinced there's any immediate health concerns with using modern nonstick cookware or saute pans, but I'm aware that people cooked and ate fantastic food for hundreds of years before any fancy nonstick cookware gadgetry came to the marketplace. If they could do it, so can I.

I checked out some options to to augment my existing non non-stick options (Lodge cast iron and All-Clad stainless) and found a French company around for over 150 years: de Buyer. (Since 1830.) So I picked up one of their Mineral B saute pans. I've been using it for a few months now and it's great. It's still getting some character and patina. I think it has a long way to go to really be broken in.

de Buyer says the iron in the pan contributes minerals to the cooking for for good health. I don't know about that. But I do know I have cooked eggs and chicken breast in it without any sticking issues. That is something I can believe in.

This cookware is made for the professional kitchen. It'll handle constant work from line brigade. It isn't necessarily designed with comfort in mind. The handle is styled raw and flat, so it can stack in a working kitchen. No matter, I love the style and the accentuated details and touched de Buyer used. Nice work.

I definitely need to buy another de Buyer pan.








No comments: