Tuesday, March 28, 2006

American Sucker

Almost finished reading "American Sucker" by David Denby, a film critic for The New Yorker. The books relates Denby's tale of getting in on the tech market on the tail end and painfully enduring the doomed crash. Essentially he was trying to raise a million to buy his wife out of their Manhatten apartment after their divorice. Well, he didn't quite make it there. Far from it, as it turns out. From early 2000 to the end of 2002 his net losses stood at $900k.

This hasn't been the most exciting book to read. In fact, at times Denby strays away from the topic of investing. But then again, he never claimed himself a professional investor. He was just a common man on a mission but started it too late.

I wasn't in the market during that time. But I wonder what it would have been like to endure such a bear market. I don't think I would have liked it one bit. But I suppose I just need to learn to short.

No comments: